Meg Joins the Navy

A new member of the Navy Nurse Corps and a proud wife of a Navy corpsman stationed together at Walter Reed National Military Medical Center.

08 November 2011

Introducing... My Family

Here's a little about my family just to introduce them.  Although I currently live at school, outside of Baltimore, on an on-campus apartment, HOME is considered to be East Berlin, PA, a town with 2 stop lights and less than a mile long located between Gettysburg and York, PA.

My home consists of my mother.
One dog.  Nakita "Nikki" Mackenzie, who is the sweetest golden retriever ever, though she sounds ferocious, she'll hide under the table whenever anyone comes into the house.


And two cats.  First we have Maverick "Danger Zone," and yes, he is named for Top Gun.  He's only a year old and plays like a kitten but is 3x the size now.



Then we have Chloe Ann, the older one who is very snotty and won't show you any affection but wants all of yours.

& I love them all very much! (Although Maverick is my favorite).

And I have an older brother, who moved to Florida a month ago with his best friend.

My mom has raised me on her own, while working full-time and being a part-time college student since January 8, 2003 when my dad passed away unexpectedly from a heart attack.  I knew I sure made her life more difficult throughout the years but I think I'm at the age now where I have learned to appreciate her.  I think she's done a great job on her own because I know it could not have been easy to get through losing your husband, taking on all the responsibility, going back to college in her 40's, sending herself, me and my brother to college, staying in the same house, etc.
     Because I've seen her go through it, I know if I lost my husband early that things do work out and I could get through it because I've seen it first hand.  There's no way in hell I'd ever want to, but there are always worse things -- like my children losing both parents.

In the future, I'll post a blog solely dedicated about my dad because he was an amazing person - Air Force medic, firefighter, EMT, part of the HAZMAT team, PEMA task force, trained search and rescue dogs, and more.

But that is my immediate family and our fur children :)