Meg Joins the Navy

A new member of the Navy Nurse Corps and a proud wife of a Navy corpsman stationed together at Walter Reed National Military Medical Center.

06 November 2011

A Medic & a Nurse

The nerds that we are, both in the medical field, Sailor as a hospital corpsman in the Fleet Marine Force, and me as a future Navy nurse in my senior year of nursing school, we like to get our medical nerd-talk on.  Not only do we send and receive texts of nerdy pickup lines about neurotransmitters, blood flow, dyspnea, heart palpitations, etc. but we get excited teaching each other new things we've learned.

Sailor has gotten more of the emergent care training... thorocentesis, fractures, burns, severe wounds, blood loss, etc. while I've gotten more of the chronic illnesses... cancer, diabetes, heart disease, system failures, asthma, COPD, etc.  So he teaches me about emergent care procedures, and I teach him why.  In Corps school they teach them a lot about diseases and systems of the body and what to do, but they don't tell them why.  So I get to teach him the cellular level of everything.

I really don't know what people think when they're around us because when we get to talking about medical things we start going off on tangents.  The nerds that we are shows so easily.  We both have such a strong emphasis on learning that we soak up the information we share with each other.  We're also slightly hypochondriacs.  Today I thought I was pre-diabetic.  Luckily, we have each other to tell us we're being ridiculous and we can see the reality. haha