Meg Joins the Navy

A new member of the Navy Nurse Corps and a proud wife of a Navy corpsman stationed together at Walter Reed National Military Medical Center.

01 November 2011

My Sailor Came Home Early!

For the past 11 days, I have been a busy girl with 2 tests, Saturday/Sunday clinicals, 46 hours of class, commuting an hour-fifteen from home, but the BEST WEEK (and a half) EVER!  All because my sailor gave me 48 hours notice that he was coming home!

I don't even know where to start.  The moment he told me he had landed on the east coast, I was a nervous wreck (no idea why) and had to go out to Texas Roadhouse for a very large margarita.
So that night, I got to see him for the first time in months!  I would give you a play-by-play of every moment but I'm keeping all the details to myself, but the whole week showed me how much he means to me, how well we work together, how similar we are in quirky habits, our OCD-ness, ideas, etc.


We got our Navy on in Annapolis one of the nights and I got to finally buy the Navy t-shirt, sweatshirt, and bumpersticker I've been dying to get!  I'm officially a full pledged Navy girl now!  My favorite part of our week together was being the obnoxious, hand-holding couple that I despise so much when he's away.


I was so spoiled when he was here, having someone to talk to all night and day, a warm body to keep me warm, flowers, dinner out, over a week free from doing homework, stress-free, hugs whenever I wanted them.  I am lucky enough as well to be seeing him over Christmas.  We gave in and told each other our Christmas surprises (one of those I'll tell you if you tell me because I'm going to tell you anyway) and we're looking forward to my gift to him (and myself haha), a couple's 1-hour massage.  His surprise is a day out in Pittsburgh and a Penguins game!  He surprised me, that's for sure.  He always has to beat me in giving or being sweeter so we're always trying to come out on top.

 I'm so thankful to have had that time to catch up with him and get all the lovey-dovey emotions out to hold me over till I see him next.  Every night I went to bed, face hurting from smiling so much.  No joke.  I took Tylenol one day because my jaw hurt form smiling and it was radiating.

It's so good to see and be reassured after those inevitable nights in a long distance relationship when you fear the next time you get together that things will be awkward or different but to know things are even stronger and you fall more in love than you could ever imagine possible.

And now I keep getting reminders of how amazing he is, after he has left, with hidden post-its in my room from my sailor.