Meg Joins the Navy

A new member of the Navy Nurse Corps and a proud wife of a Navy corpsman stationed together at Walter Reed National Military Medical Center.

13 December 2011

Make Your Own Apron!

My first attempt at making an apron ended very well, especially for just winging it and not using a pattern.

My nursing school saviors, Kim & Ashley!

This is how it worked:

I got a basic cotton fabric, which happened to be wide enough that I could fold it "hotdog style" so that I had an apron with the pattern on each side.  I folded it inside out (patterned sides together) so that I could mark and cut the diagonal edge.  I did this by folding the fabric "hotdog style" again so that both edges met so that the cut was symmetrical.  Think of it as the first fold creates a single piece of fabric that would be double printed.  The second fold is to line up the opposite edges of the fabric to make a symmetrical cut edge.
I pinned and sewed around the sides and top edge, pattern sides still together.  Then turned it right side out (pattern sides facing) and sewed along the bottom edge, which I folded under, making a cuff.  You can decide the length of your own apron at this point.

I then sewed with a contrast color thread around all the edges of the apron for decoration and extra hold.

Next up was the front pocket.  I purchased the pre-cut fabric squares, folding it in half "hotdog style" (pattern facing you) so that the pattern would appear on the inside and out of the pocket.  I rolled the bottom and side edges and pinned in the center of the apron (The top edge was where the fabric was folded over).  I sewed the edges and then down the center of the pocket to make it into 2 pockets.



Last was the ties.  I used ribbon that you can buy by the spool (without wire).  For the tie around the waist, you use about a yard for each side and fold over the end and sew onto the back of the apron.  You want to make sure to backstich over it so that it has a strong hold.  I then used a lighter to melt the end of the ribbon so that it would not fray.


The top ribbon was sewn on one side like as before.  On the opposite side I sewed on a button on the back of the apron and made 3 button holes in the ribbon so that the size could be adjustable. I used a lighter again to melt the edges so that it would not fray.  Be careful when using the lighter because it was quickly burn the ribbon and turn brown or black and shrivel up.  If you use it lightly it will simply melt the ribbon and create a plastic-y glue that holds well.

I then used the ribbon on the aprons themselves to wrap them up!