Meg Joins the Navy

A new member of the Navy Nurse Corps and a proud wife of a Navy corpsman stationed together at Walter Reed National Military Medical Center.

17 February 2012

My Grandmother's Christmas Sugar Cookies

My Grandmother has a famous recipe in my family that I have taken over making every Christmas for the past few years.  They are a huge hit at every family & friend Christmas and with my sailor, who actually found a bag of them after like 5 months of sitting in his locker back in high school and still ate them! I am going to share the legendary recipe with you!

Cookie Ingredients:
1 cup margarine
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 cup brown sugar
1 egg
3 Tbsp. milk
1 tsp. vanilla extract
3 cups flour
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp baking soda

Icing Ingredients:
(you HAVE to make them with this icing because it is what makes them so irresistable!)
2 cups confectionary sugar
1/4 cup margarine
1 tsp. vanilla extract
food coloring
milk

 

I tripled the recipe this year because I need to make A LOT of cookies so that's why my pictures contain such an outrageous amount of butter.


1.  Combine all the wet ingredients together, melting the butter.
2.  Combine all the dry ingredients together.
3.  Combine it all!
4.  Chill for at least one hour.
5.  Roll out the dough (not too thin!)
6.  Cut with fun cookie cutters, according to holiday or season ;)
7.  Bake at 350 degrees for 8 to 10 minutes, depending on thickness of dough.  I usually like my cookies to look like they might be a little underdone and barely browned on the edges because they're softer.
I've gotten quite used to an assembly line of cooking making after doing this for quite a lot of Christmases.  Cooling/drying racks are one of the best inventions ever.
When all your cookies are finished baking, which when tripling the recipe to make like 100 cookies can be a tiring process, I usually leave frosting for the next day.

8.  Combine all the frosting ingredients, melting the butter.  Add confectionary sugar/milk to get the right consistency.  It will be a little on the liquid side at first but leave it sit for a half hour or so and it'll thicken up and you can add more milk if needed.


Enjoy!