Meg Joins the Navy

A new member of the Navy Nurse Corps and a proud wife of a Navy corpsman stationed together at Walter Reed National Military Medical Center.

13 December 2011

Scrabble Ornaments

My craft this Christmas was to make a cute gift for my sailor's mom and grandma that was inexpensive, cute, and I knew they would like.  They are big Scrabble fans so I hope they enjoy the new ornaments I've made.

How to make Scrabble ornaments:

1.  Make as many words as you can with the letters.  You can buy the letters separately from the board game, but I didn't have time to run around looking and bought the whole game, which was less than $10 at Walmart ($16 at ToysRUs) and after all the ornaments I made they all came to less than $1.


2.  Decide if you want the letters to be horizontal or vertical.


3.  Hot glue each letter in place.  I used the letter stands that come with the game for some and tongue depressors for the rest.  The hot glue worked really well holding the letters.



4.  Cut the ribbon and tie a double knot at each end for ornaments as shown above, or tie each end together for the ornament at the bottom of the page.


5.  Hot glue the ribbon in place by placing the knot directly onto the glue spot.


These are fun because you can do them with a lot more than ornaments!  You can make coasters by gluing the letters onto cut corkboard, make a nametag, name place tags, on picture frames, or take pictures of the letters in different arrangements and use as a place setting, front of a greeting card, or anything you could think of!  I know they're going to start appearing everywhere I am.