Meg Joins the Navy

A new member of the Navy Nurse Corps and a proud wife of a Navy corpsman stationed together at Walter Reed National Military Medical Center.

26 January 2012

Anniversary!

Friday, January 27th celebrates the fateful night that my sailor and I gave into our feelings that we had been suppressing for quite a long time, maybe years of holding each other off and trying our luck somewhere else, but as he came down to visit me at school for about 24 hours, I guess we couldn't hold it back any longer and knew we couldn't lose each other as he was preparing to leave for his Navy adventures, that our feelings came pouring out in the week and a half we had left before I lost all communication February 7th for 8 weeks of basic training.  I really felt like I was in an old movie, writing hand-written love letters to him everyday for those 8 weeks, sometimes more than once in a day.  I smiled and cried when I got his in the mail and checked my college mailbox multiple times a day, even knowing that the mail had already gone that day and I was checking again late at night.

My sailor has been my best friend from when we met way back in the beginning of high school, and now as I think about graduating this May as a college senior, time has flown and there were many times I leaned on him for support or encouragement and especially to calm me down when I was stressed.  We had lots of fun times over the almost 7 years and lots of hard times but we were always very real with each other.  We call our selves the "optimistic realists"... we tell you the shit of it, but we hope and pray for the very best!

I can't believe that so much has happened in the past year.  We've gone through many tunnels, over mountains, bridges, hard times, good times, stressful times, but at the end of each day, I'm in love with my best friend and can't wait for my 9 o'clock phone call to hear about his day and tell him about mine.  We've made it work so well being from Pennsylvania or Maryland to Illinois, California, and now North Carolina.  I know the future holds a lot more obstacles but I trust in our relationship's strength and trust with each other that nothing could tear us apart, no matter what God brings us to, He will lead us through, and by each other's side I feel like I could take on the world.

I feel so blessed to have such a strong, healthy, loving relationship with my sailor, over long distances and when we get to be together.  Nothing changes.  We're the same people together and apart.  I never used to be a phone person, but now I'm so happy to get a phone call and could still talk and talk for hours every night with him and never run out of conversation.

He is truly an amazing man.  Sensitive, sweet, always knows exactly what to say, the person many people go to when they need good advice, smart, caring, a family man, motivated, loving.  I could go on and on.  I don't know what I've done to catch him but I'm never letting him go!

I'm so happy to have shared such an amazing time with my sailor, time apart and together, I know I'm loved by him and he knows how much I love him back!  Although we can't be physically together this weekend, in a few weeks I'll have him in my arms again!