Meg Joins the Navy

A new member of the Navy Nurse Corps and a proud wife of a Navy corpsman stationed together at Walter Reed National Military Medical Center.

21 January 2012

Meeting Halfway to see my Sailor!

One week of the semester down, 14 to go!  I can do it, I can do it!

For the last weekend of winter break, my sailor and I planned a trip to meet halfway between his station and home, which ended up being Williamsburg, VA.  Although it was off-season and it was basically deserted of tourists and actors in the colonial parts, it was fun walking around without the heat or snow, crowds, and crying, grumpy children.  The last time I was there, I was 5 years old and it was my first vacation ever.  We cut it short and went to Virginia Beach instead.  Sorry, Mom! :)

 We had a great time!  Just shopping around, eating, hanging out at the hotel at night.  It was great to have 3 days just to spend together, without family or friends to see and to be on an adventure of our own without time constraints or commitments.

 Colonial Williamsburg was really deserted.  But we had a perfect day to walk around, sunny, a little windy and chilly but nothing unbearable.
We also went to Yorktown, down Colonial Parkway, which is a cobblestone-esque 12 mile road just through trees lining it, no yellow lines in the center, and minimal road signs to really make you feel like you were leaving the modern world.

I've noticed my sailor and I definitely have common interests in that the adventures we like to go on are very educational. haha  Some couples may like to hit up the beaches, nature walks, city life, wineries, etc. but we like our museums, history, and zoos!  Lots more of all of those to see, hopefully some Smithsonian trips to DC while we're both on the east coast.  We're also very into the free museums, or the ones that offer military discounts ;) (which many do!)  We both decided we'll need to come back to Williamsburg in the peak season to see all the actors walking around and have a new experience there.