Meg Joins the Navy

A new member of the Navy Nurse Corps and a proud wife of a Navy corpsman stationed together at Walter Reed National Military Medical Center.

07 February 2012

Fun with Nursing

Finally after almost 4 years of schooling, my nursing clinicals are actually fun and I don't dread going or fearing that I'll hate nursing all my life.  In my unnamed clinical site for my practicum (kind of like a nursing internship arranged through the school... of course, unpaid) I have done so many cool things in the Emergency Department that reminds me of why I enjoy nursing, the kind of nursing involving blood, guts, gore, broken bones, and gross things that would cause a lot of people to faint if they saw.

I've been there for a little over 20 hours and I cannot count the number of people I have drawn blood from, put in IVs, assessed, triaged, done ECGs on, medications, shots, and so much more!  And today I saw my first dead body!  I am having the time of my life there.  After a 12 hour shift on a Sunday, I was kind of upset to leave because the Superbowl was starting and I wanted to stay the next 12 hour shift to see all the lovely disasters that would come walking, hopping, wheeled, or carried into the ED from the football festivities.

I finally feel like a nurse!  It's taken a lot of hours at the hospital, studying, headaches, alcoholic beverages, stress, tears, prayers, and some anxiety attacks but so worth it all.  I also feel so lucky when my classmates talk about not having jobs lined up for after graduation because a lot of places don't want to hire new grads that I have a wonderful career, not just job, awaiting me in the Navy.  I cannot wait to get started!  (And to not have someone watching me over my back all day long.)  I wore the unit's color scrubs instead of my school uniform last clinical and it's amazing how different nurses, techs, doctors, and patients treat you.  It was great.

I also had a teenage Army guy come in who kept calling me ma'am, definitely something I'm going to have to get used to!  But, not going to lie, I like it :)