Meg Joins the Navy

A new member of the Navy Nurse Corps and a proud wife of a Navy corpsman stationed together at Walter Reed National Military Medical Center.

29 February 2012

Sailor's Training in a Field

Well it's been 11 days that my sailor has been out in a field training before deployment, sleeping on the cold, hard ground, eating MRE's, and kicking some butt during the day.  9 days to go till he's back in a bed and can take a shower!  I've been able to have 2 quick phone calls in those 11 days, finding out he's been sick since he got there :(  It's a little more difficult than him being away this time last year at basic training because at least then I could write letters, but at least this time I've been through it already.  No mail for him there, out in some field.  Although I do randomly send texts or leave voicemails or an email because there's so many things I want to talk about when he's gone!  I feel helpless because I just want to throw together a package for him with those damn granola bars he loves, a ton of fruit snacks, and some hand warmers so he'd know I'm thinking about him all day.

Luckily, I've been super busy with school, having my first day off since the 1st full day he was gone today.  Staying busy has been my way of dealing with not having him on the phone after 9 for a conversation, or going to bed early.  I can say, although my days have been long (four 12 hour clinical days, plus days full of class or homework), I made it through without a ton of caffeine because I've been going to bed at like 9:30 since I don't get to talk to him at night.  I'd much rather talk to him though ;)

So 9 days left till he's back from the field and 9 days until my spring break starts!  That's pretty good timing and a good break from the 1st half of the semester.

How I picture field training, probably way off!