Meg Joins the Navy

A new member of the Navy Nurse Corps and a proud wife of a Navy corpsman stationed together at Walter Reed National Military Medical Center.

06 July 2012

Will You be my Bridesmaid? Hand-Painted Wine Glasses

 So as I have been unable to do any wedding planning until recently when my sailor came home from training at Twenty-nine Palms, I wanted to do something related to it so I made fun wine glasses to give to my bridesmaids when I asked them to be in my wedding.

Oh, and I made one for myself :)
I made mine have a heart shaped dress neckline
Painting wine glasses is actually a lot easier than it seems.  This was my first time trying it, and I loved it!

You will need:
  • Glassware
  • Paint brushes
  • Paint designed for glass (the bottles will specify, usually an enamel)
  • Alcoholic beverage it test it out ;)
  1. Clean your glasses.
  2. Practice your design on paper before going to town.
  3. Paint your glasses!  (The paint will thicken after you put it in the oven.)
  4. Let dry over night before adding a second coat or before setting it.
  5. Bake the glasses at 350 degrees for 30 minutes.  (I know this sounds weird, how can the glasses not break or become easily breakable during this? I don't know.)  Use a flat baking sheet and turn glasses upside down for a wider base so they don't fall over.  Start the 30 minutes when you first turn the oven on before it is preheated with the glasses already in the oven.  There may be a strange odor.  This was odd to me so I periodically had to check on them to make sure nothing was burning, melting, or had fallen over.
  6. After the 30 minutes, turn the oven off and keep the glasses in  the oven as it cools.
  7. When glasses are completely cool, remove from oven and enjoy!  The glasses should be top rack dishwasher safe or hand washable.  I'm going to stick with hand washing in case anything happens to mine.
 I also added a fun note to ask my bridesmaid to be a part of my wedding...