Meg Joins the Navy

A new member of the Navy Nurse Corps and a proud wife of a Navy corpsman stationed together at Walter Reed National Military Medical Center.

29 September 2012

Oh, I was at ODS for 5 weeks?

Yay! I'm finally back to high-speed internet, my laptop, pictures are uploaded, and the unpacking has an end in sight!  For 5 weeks I was up in Newport, RI at Officer Development School, where my classmates and I learned how to be officers.  My classmates included lots of nurses, doctors of many kinds, chaplains, dentists, administrators, lawyers, nuclear stuff, etc.  I had a rough first two weeks, being extremely homesick for the first time in my life and basically wondering what in the world I got myself into.  After beginning to make real friends, it got better though :)

I wish I could write about everything I learned... how to run with people 40 inches in every direction around you, how to drill, how to look busy, how to look like you're still awake and paying attention to another powerpoint, how to eat in 15 minutes, how to survive (well, more like tolerate as much as possible) without any caffeine or sugar, how to have random conversations with people because there is nothing else to do, etc.

But the best part was liberty!... Shopping, sailing, and eating in Newport and a trip to Boston!

You must add Newport, RI to your list of places to visit; there's mansions, beaches, bars, shopping, Cupcake Charlie's, boat tours, super cute bed and breakfasts, and so close to Boston and tons of other cities!


Money galore in Newport


Fenway Park
 Boston is extremely family and pet-friendly and super clean.
Site of the Boston Massacre
Go on the Freedom Trail guided tour if you want a lot of Boston history
My mom & me... Don't judge the pants lol



Class 12100 Tango Company!