- 2 skeins of yarn
- Straight needles, size 6 & 8
- Circular needles size 5, 16" long
- 2 stitch holders
- Place marker
- Darning needle
- Cast on 80 stitches on small size needles, loosely.
- Work in K1, P1 ribbing for 2".
- Change to larger needles.
- Work in stockinette stitch until back measures 10", end by working a purl row.
- Row 1: K1, slip 1 as if to knit, K1, PSSO, knit across to last 3 sts, K2tog, K1.
- Row 2: Purl across.
- Repeat rows 1 & 2, 6 times.
- Work even in stockinette stitch until piece measures 18 1/2", end by working a knit row.
- Bind off 6 sts at the beginning of the next 6 rows. Slip remaining sts onto holder.
Work same as Back until piece measures 16”, ending by working a knit row.
Neck Shaping: (Both sides of neck are worked at the same time, using separate yarn for each side.)
Row 1: Purl 24 sts, slip next 18 onto holder; with 2nd yarn, purl 24.
Row 2: Knit across to within 2 sts of edge, K2 tog; with 2nd yarn, slip 1 as if to knit, K1, PSSO, knit across.
Row 3: Purl across to within 2 sts of edge, P2 tog; with 2nd yarn, P2 tog, purl across.
Row 4: Repeat Row 2.
Row 5: Purl.
Row 6: Repeat Rows 4 &5, 3 times.
Work until front measures back, end by working a knit row.
Bind off 6 sts at the beginning of the next 5 rows. Bind off remaining sts.
Weave shoulder seams.
With right side facing & using circular needle, K 30 sts from back holder, pick up 21 sts evenly spaced along left neck edge, K 18 sts from front holder, pick up 21 sts evenly spaced along right neck edge, place marker. K 2 rows. Bind off loosely.