I've included the pattern for the sweater as well as the pattern for the mittens. The mitten pockets are a great add on for any sweater you might be knitting.
- size 8 straight knitting needles
- 3 or 4 large skeins of yarn
Back and front (make 2):
- Cast on 63 sts loosely.
- K6 rows for garter st border.
- Starting with a knit row, work in stockinette st for 112 rows.
- Knit 6 rows for garter st border at neck and shoulder edge.
- Bind off loosely.
- Sew shoulder seams, leaving 8" center opening for neck.
Sleeves (make 2):
- Mark armhole edges 6 1/2" down on each side of shoulder seams.
- With right side facing, pick up and knit 30 stitches along first half of armhole edge, pick up 1 st at shoulder seam, and another 30 for second half of armhole edge.
- Starting with a purl row, work in stockinette st for 30 rows.
- Row 1: K2tog, K to last 2 sts, K2tog
- Row 2: Purl
- Row 3 and 4: K1 row, P1 row
- Row 5: K2tog, knit to last 2 sts, K2tog
- Row 6-8: P1 row, K1 row, P1 row
- Row 9: K2tog, knit to last 2 sts, K2 tog
- Row 10-12: P1 row, K1 row, P1 row
5. Repeat last 12 rows 4 times.
6. K1 row, P1 row
7. K 8 rows for garter st border
8. Bind off loosely.
- Sew side and sleeve seams.
- Sew mittens onto front.
- 1 skein yarn
- Size 8 straight knitting needles
- Cast on 16 sts loosely.
- K8 rows.
- K to last 3 sts, increase next st (knit 1 in front and 1 in back of same st), K2.
- K3 rows
- Repeat those 4 rows 4 times more.
- K3 rows.
- K6, turn, leaving remaining sts on needle.
- K2tog, 3 times.
- K3. Cut yarn leaving a long tail. Thread into darning needle and draw through remaining 3 sts, pull yarn up to fasten.
- Rejoin yarn to remaining sts on needle. Knit across.
- K9 rows.
- K1, K2tog, K to last 3 sts, K2 tog, K1.
- Knit row
- Repeat last 2 rows twice more.
- K1, K2 tog, 4 times.
- Knit row
- Cut yarn leaving a long tail and thread through remaining sts with darning needle. Pull to fasten.